John GrayBArch, NZCD (Arch), FNZIA
John is a Senior Registered Architect with a broad and exciting portfolio of experience built over 41 years with more than half of that time as Principal Architect. As well as private practice he has held positions in central and local government providing him with valuable insights to the design and construction industries.
After a five year break away for “a sea change” that brought John to Marlborough from Dunedin “I was super energised and ready to return to my great professional passion of architecture when the opportunity arose to join the Smart Alliances team.” John had earlier sold his interest in Dunedin based Oakley Gray Architects, a practice in which he was a director for the previous 18 years.
From the small and intimate to the large and public
As well as private clients and developers, John’s clients have included International Funding Agencies, Government Departments, local and Regional Councils, schools, and a University. During his career he has built an outstanding reputation in diverse architectural projects including:
- Commercial / retail / industrial
- Large scale and multi storey commercial
- Education and University buildings
- Heritage buildings and conservation projects
- Adaptive reuse
- Heritage / conservation reports – over 70 produced
- Multi storey car parking buildings
- Performance theatre projects
- Expert witness evidence – Resource Consent / Environment Court
- Urban design